2012年6月14日星期四

Along Came a Spider-man

When Reeve Carney was a child, his parents would suggest career options to him while he slept. ‘‘I didn’t know this till much later scarpe Nike,’’ says Carney, who claims to have decided to be an entertainer at 8, ‘‘but they told me that they used to whisper ‘doctor’ and ‘lawyer’ in my ear because they were both musicians and wanted me to have an easier life than they had.’’

Taymor, who says Carney is ‘‘an incredible vocalist with great charisma and range,’’ is not the only one singing hosannas to him. Bono recently introduced him on ‘‘Good Morning America’’ by saying he felt like an old man handing over the keys to the convertible. ‘‘It was something along the lines of him knowing that I will drive it faster than he ever did and that he hoped I get home safely,’’ Carney says. ‘‘Bono knows that at my age, sometimes you go a little too hard. I don’t even mean partying, but in terms of giving everything onstage instead of pacing yourself.’’

Audio

Reeve Carney on the song, “Love Me Chase Me”

They worried needlessly. A versatile performer whose great-uncle was Art Carney of ‘‘The Honeymooners,’’ Carney, 27, has made a respectable living scarpe Nike, first as a child singer and actor, and more recently as the frontman for the Los Angeles-based rock band Carney. This month, he appears as prince Ferdinand in Julie Taymor’s screen adaptation of ‘‘The Tempest,’’ opposite Helen Mirren. And next month he appears on Broadway as Peter Parker and his superhero alter ego in the musical ‘‘Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark,’’ which is also being directed by Taymor and has been scored by Bono and the Edge of U2.

In addition to the grueling circus training that he has undergone in order to spring across stage as the web-slinging superhero, Carney is also learning that there are strings attached to being in the spotlight.

Given his dreamboat appearance, which brings to mind the pretty-boy love child of Jeff Buckley and Kristen Stewart, he is in high demand for photo shoots. ‘‘I actually hate looking at myself,’’ he says, managing to sound modest without being cloyingly self-effacing. ‘‘And like Peter Parker, I am very much in touch with my awkward side. But I understand that I work somewhat in the world of appearances and that promotion is part of the business.’’

Professional self-control and learning lessons are themes that have run through Spider-Man comics since the character was created in 1962, and Carney is living his own version in the lead-up to the show, with a typical workday that can involve 14 hours of rehearsals. ‘‘It’s been pretty intense,’’ says the Stratocaster-thin Carney, over a salad of spinach and avocado that he practically forces himself to eat. ‘‘I have an actress friend who was telling me to enjoy my downtime because it’s all about to begin, and I thought, Wow, if this is my chill time, then I am in trouble.’’

Not all aspects of his incipient fame are as easy to swallow. Carney, who sang as part of the children’s choir on Michael Jackson’s 1995 ‘‘HIStory’’ album, recalls a recent article in which he was quoted at length by a journalist he says he has never met. ‘‘It was all positive — it’s not like they implied that Michael molested me — but it was all made up scarpe Nike,’’ he says incredulously. ‘‘I apparently said that Michael told me at 10 that I was going to be a huge star, and that to this day I choke up every time I think about him dying before he had the chance to tell me, ‘I told you so.’ Imagine when people find out that I am afraid of spiders.’’

CarneyPortrait by Matthew Brookes. Fashion editor: Bruce Pask. Grooming by Andre Gunn at The Wall Group. Burberry london trench, $1,695. Go to burberry.com. Versace shirt and pants. For similar styles, call (888) 721-7219. Related:

没有评论:

发表评论